Earlier in 2008, the electricity sector in the north of Palestine was considered to be in a very bad situation due to old and inefficient system, unreliable supplies, and weak institutional framework and highly fragmented. Moreover Israeli source is the sole source for power supply. Northern Electricity Distribution Company (NEDCO) was launched effectively on July 2010 which is totally owned by the municipalities in the north of Palestine.
Northern Electricity Distribution Company (NEDCO), as a newly established utility services company is specializing in the electricity distribution sector in the northern area of the Palestinian West Bank. Its current network is comprised of medium voltage (M.V) and low voltage (L.V) networks .NEDCO have successfully accomplished the first and most sensitive stage of its services launching process, where it has successfully completed the transfer, migrate and operate the electricity services from Nablus ,Jenin municipalities and some 35 councils with 100,000 customers. The consequence stages will include the transfer of electricity distribution services currently provided by other municipalities and other Village Councils bodies (LG) in the northern area to NEDCO in a period of two years that ends in March, 2014.
NEDCo’s Strategic Objectives
The following are NEDCo’s strategic objectives for the next 3-5 years in order to achieve its vision & mission.
· Improve operational efficiency.
· Increase number of subscribers.
· Increase collection rates.
· Improve DSO.
· Provide efficient Cost Cutting.
· Complete the transferring and integrating the current electricity distribution services currently provided by other municipalities and other LG bodies into NEDCO system.
· Introduce and set effective financing expansion plans..
· Identify, design and execute unique landmark projects.
· introduce and Implement world class management and operating practices.
· Proactively Develop and manage regulatory relationship and comply with predefined regulations.
· Implement safety standards and monitor them
· Improve the business processes
· Cost effectively bill and service customers
· Cost effectively design, and put in service distribution assets.
· accurately and consistently report results